Wednesday, September 30, 2026

An update on the August inflation numbers with a look at C.O.L.A

Here is a snapshot of August percentages...


The PPI continues to remain a bit high, imo. It is considered the forerunner of future retail pricing, which in turn... impacts the CPI.

As for the C.O.L.A. outlook...


There is a strong chance of 3.6%, based on the energy increases and expected weightings. I am anticipating something between 3.6% and 3.7% for the September CPI. That figure will abruptly change the discussion of the PCE slipping in August and replaced by renewed inflation worries.

I read where the Treasury is preparing to purchase long term bonds, to keep the lid on bond rates. The figure announced is a mere pittance, imo. It won't take long for the market to see through the mist.

This Treasury purchase should not be confused with any FED QE, as I mentioned in this post, from earlier this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An update on the August inflation numbers with a look at C.O.L.A

Here is a snapshot of August percentages... The PPI continues to remain a bit high, imo. It is considered the forerunner of future retail pr...